Saturday, December 4, 2010

This and That

My poor little baby is still sick. He doesn’t have a fever anymore, but he definitely still has a cold. I had all these good intentions to write a really useful post with lots of genealogy information. But, you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men….

So instead I thought I’d just share some of the random thoughts dancing around in my head:

1) I missed a NERGC (New England Regional Genealogical Conference) board meeting today. If any of you are New Englanders, I hope you are looking into attending this conference. It’s a fabulous conference with speakers from across the country. This year, it will be in Springfield, MA – just forty minutes from my house. (But today was the “Christmas tree day” at our house, so I had to pass on the meeting. They didn’t need my anyway:) You can read more about the conference here. And by the way, you don't have to be a New Englander to come!

2) My book was reviewed on the latest episode of The Genealogy Guys Podcast . It must be late, because I can’t make my computer cooperate so I can hear what they said.

3) I made our kayaking reservations for our trip to Hawaii. And I made reservations for the Polynesian Cultural Center. I’ve really wanted to see the Na Pali Coast, but boats and helicopters are not an option for me (motion sickness). So, I’ve decided we’re going to hike in a couple of miles instead for what is supposedly a stunning view. Can’t wait!! Sometimes I think I missed my true calling in life – being a professional tourist (or at least a travel writer).

4) Family Chronicle is about to put out a new book entitled, “Tracing Your Civil War Ancestors.” You can pre-order it now on their website. I have Civil War ancestors – maybe someday I will trace them, instead of only tracing my European ancestors. It always makes me laugh when people assume that because I’m a “professional,” I must have “finished” tracing my family.

5) Listening to a little baby cough is about the saddest thing ever! I hope my little guy gets better soon.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the book! My best wishes for the quick recovery of your son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, if you are going to the PCC make sure you get the Super Ambassador package. You can add it to your reservation. We spent the extra bit to do this and it was WELL WORTH it! We had a great time, and our guide was more than wonderful- we had front row seats at all the shows and didn't miss anything all day because she moved us right from one attraction to the next. Sitting front row at the evening performance was fun, but getting to go backstage and interact with all the students was a highlight of the whole day. The treated us like ali'i and ohana. Mention your interest in genealogy and they will all be excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww. I remember those days and it seems like they're always sick at this time of the year. Hope he is feeling better soon. Don't forget to take care of yourself.

    I'll be looking for your interview on the Genealogy Guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie, I hope your son improves quickly, so you will be able to take your trip guilt-free. Also, you forgot to mention your article in recent issue of "Internet Genealogy." Looking forward in seeing you next month at our Genealogy Club mtg. in Lowell (your 2nd talk with us).

    ReplyDelete